The mission of the Pittsburg Fire Department is to provide emergency and non-emergency fire, rescue and medical services necessary to protect life and property in the most efficient, cost-effective manner for the City of Pittsburg. The Pittsburg Fire Department has an ISO rating of three.
Using the resources provided to us by the citizens of Pittsburg, the Pittsburg Fire Department protects approximately 13 square miles and nearly 20,000 citizens.
The Pittsburg Fire Department responds out of three fire stations within the City of Pittsburg. The stations are manned by the following staff members:
- One Fire Chief
- Three Battalion Chiefs
- One Fire Marshall
- Six Captains
- Six Lieutenants
- 18 Firefighters
In an emergency, please dial 911 for assistance.
Locations & Equipment
911 W. Fourth St.
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Ph: (620) 231-1870
- Engine 1: 2015 Pierce Pumper 1500 gpm CAFS system
- Ladder 4: 2011 Pierce 100 ft. aerial platform 2000 gpm pump
- Rescue 7: 2006 Ford F- 550, 400gpm pump
- Engine 2: 1990 Pierce Pumper 1500 gpm pump
- Rescue 42: 2016 Ford F-550, Prime mover with Search and Rescue trailer
- Haz-Mat Trailer
- Training Exercise Trailer
1930 N. Rouse
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Ph: (620) 231-2512
Quint-2: 2008 Rosenbauer 75ft. aerial. 1500 gpm pump
Squad 5: 2016 Ford F-350 Urban grass truck
2303 S. Rouse
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Ph: (620) 231-4530
Quint-3: 2000 Smeal 55ft. aerial. 1500 gpm pump
Engine 6: 1986 Pierce Pumper 1500 gpm pump
On February 11, 1898 the City of Pittsburg instituted its first organized fire department with expenditures of $735.00. That amount helped fund four firefighters, one hook and ladder wagon, two horses and the outfitting and remodeling of the city’s hose house. The city’s fire combating system prior to 1898 consisted of volunteer firefighters selected from citizens who lived near the hose station. They used a hose cart that was kept at city hall. When the fire bell rang, volunteers would bolt from their work or homes and pull the hose cart to the blaze.
The city began to grow, a second company was organized and a hose cart was purchased to provide protection for the south part of town. Progress in architecture brought higher buildings and necessitated ladders to reach higher rooftops. Another team was organized at the central station and a truck with hooks, ladders and ropes was purchased. Residents of east Pittsburg, many of whom were employed at the smelters, also organized a firefighting company and they were provided with a horse and cart.
In the beginning, volunteers were paid a small compensation, as well as pay for regular fire calls. In 1898, with the expansion of the city, runs became too long and often firefighters were exhausted by the time they reached the scene of a blaze. A paid fire department was instituted and provided with horses and equipment that would ensure speedy and efficient arrival.
The City’s first Fire Chief was W.H. Holmes. Chief Holmes was paid a monthly sum of $40; the amount also paid to firefighters. Firewagon drivers were paid $45. Quarters were provided and firefighters were required to stay in them 24 hours a day. They, in fact, received only 1 entire day off each week. Chief Holmes resigned in 1902 when JT Atkinson was named acting chief. Tom Howe took over that same year as Fire Chief and served until 1917 when Gus Tessmer succeeded him. Howe again headed the Pittsburg Fire Department in 1933 and served as chief until he retired in 1939. Walter Campbell served as chief of the department until 1956, who was then succeeded by Elmer Fields. In 1981, Fields left and Chief William Scott filled the position. When Chief Scott retired in 2003, Don Elmer took over as Chief on September 4, 2003, retiring in 2009. At that time, Scott Crain became chief and retired in 2012.
Today Mike Simons is the Chief of the Pittsburg Fire Department. Firefighters are still working out of 3 stations, the newest station being located at 911 W. 4th, which was opened in April of 2009. The Pittsburg Fire Department employs 33 Firefighters, 1 Fire Marshall/Safety Coordinator, along with Chief Simons.