City of Pittsburg closes some public facilities, cancels events in response to coronavirus
City Press Releases
March 16, 2020
PITTSBURG, KS – In an abundance of public caution, the City of Pittsburg is taking several proactive steps to combat the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), including closing some public facilities and cancelling or postponing public events. City officials plan to reevaluate the situation daily and make adjustments as needed.
Public meetings will be postponed for 30 days, with the exception of the March 23 Planning Commission/Board of Zoning Appeals meeting, and the March 24 City Commission meeting.
City commissioners may participate remotely by conference call. We encourage citizens to watch commission meetings using one of the following public access channels:
- Live broadcast: Every second and fourth Tuesday at 5:30 pm on Cox Channel 6, Craw-Kan Channel 406, and YouTube. To find the City’s YouTube channel, visit pittks.org/YouTube.
- Rebroadcast: City commission meetings are re-broadcast in the days following the meeting on Cox Channel 6 and Craw-Kan Channel 406 at 6:00 am, 12:00 pm, 6:00 pm, and 9:00 pm. Meeting videos are also posted to the city’s website at pittks.org/city-government, and on YouTube.
City Hall operations will remain open at this time. However, we are urging utility customers, building contractors and residents to refrain from visiting city offices in-person unless absolutely necessary. The City of Pittsburg provides many services over the phone and online, and we encourage people to use these convenient resources to protect themselves, their families and others.
Street maintenance operations: All scheduled street projects will continue as weather allows.
Utility shutoffs: Water utility shutoffs will be suspended for one month/payment cycle. Customers must still pay for the water services used during this period but they will not lose water service.
Starting new water utility services: The City is waiving the requirement that customers come to City Hall in person to create a new account or start new water service. Call (620) 231-4100 to speak to a Customer Service Representative.
Business licenses can be obtained online at pittks.org. For assistance, call Customer Service at (620) 231-4100.
Building permits can be obtained online at pittks.org. For assistance, call the Public Works Department at (620) 231-4170.
Paying your water utility bill:
- Visit pittks.org, click on “Pay A Bill” and log in to your online account.
- Call (620) 231-4100 and press 1 to make a payment over the phone with the City’s 24/7 automated system.
- Those who prefer paying with a check can use the drop box on the south side of City Hall at 201 W. 4th St., or mail their payment to P.O. Box 688, Pittsburg, KS 66762.
- To talk with a customer service specialist, call (620) 231-4100 between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Pittsburg Police Department Services:
- Municipal Court is closed effective immediately and until April 15. Those who have a first appearance scheduled between March 18 – April 15 will be notified by mail of their new court date.
- To pay your fine, use the drop box on the outside of the law enforcement center building and a receipt will be mailed to you.
- Finger printing services relating to employment applications will cease until further notice.
City facility closures:
- Golf course – will remain open
- City Hall – will remain open
- Municipal Court – closed to the public
- Lincoln Center – closed to the public
- Pittsburg Public Library – closed to the public
- Memorial Auditorium – closed to the public
- City ballfields – closed to the public
Cancelled/postponed events (through March 30):
- All Parks & Recreation games, programs, events, classes and camps
- Imagine Pittsburg 2030 Community Conversation (March 19)
- Senior Citizens Club dates
- The Pittsburg Police Department Citizens’ Academy – postponed four weeks
- All training conferences or other events scheduled at Fire Station No. 1
- Upcoming Kansas Works and Business Education Alliance events
- All Memorial Auditorium events
Additional dates postponed/cancelled:
- City of Pittsburg Employee Safety Fair (April 9)
- Earth Day Celebration (April 18)
- Just Another Mudder (April 18)
- Farmers’ Market Opening Day (April 18)
- The State of the City Luncheon (April 23)
For up-to-date information about COVID-19, go to the following websites:
The mission of the City of Pittsburg is to provide exceptional services, facilities and activities with integrity, professionalism, excellent customer service and a commitment to economic vitality.