Mosquito Control Tips
General News, City of Pittsburg
June 19, 2017
With the warmer months here, mosquitos are on the rise. Here are some tips to help keep them under control.
Avoid mosquito bites by following the three Ds:
- DRAIN – eliminate standing water where mosquitoes live and breed
- Empty standing water from tarps, old tires, buckets, and other places where rainwater collects. Use larvicide in low-lying areas where water cannot be removed.
- Refresh water for bird baths, pet bowls, and wading pools at least every three days.
- DRESS – cover your skin with clothing when outdoors
- Wear protective clothing when practical (long sleeves and pants).
- Limit outdoor activities when mosquitoes are most active.
- DEET – use insect repellents that contact DEET or other EPA-approved repellents
When used as directed, EPA-registered insect repellents are proven safe and effective, even for pregnant and breastfeeding women