With the warmer months here, mosquitos are on the rise. Here are some tips to help keep them under control.
Avoid mosquito bites by following the three Ds:
- DRAIN – eliminate standing water where mosquitoes live and breed
- Empty standing water from tarps, old tires, buckets, and other places where rainwater collects. Use larvicide in low-lying areas where water cannot be removed.
- Refresh water for bird baths, pet bowls, and wading pools at least every three days.
- DRESS – cover your skin with clothing when outdoors
- Wear protective clothing when practical (long sleeves and pants).
- Limit outdoor activities when mosquitoes are most active.
- DEET – use insect repellents that contact DEET or other EPA-approved repellents
When used as directed, EPA-registered insect repellents are proven safe and effective, even for pregnant and breastfeeding women