Pittsburg Parks & Recreation Department hosts annual July 4th Celebration
City Press Releases
June 27, 2019
This story has been edited to reflect a location change for the Baby Contest (moved to Shelter #3 due to lack of shade at the band dome). Updated July 2, 2019, at 1:37 pm.
PITTSBURG, KS – The City of Pittsburg Parks & Recreation Department is gearing up to host its annual July 4th Celebration on Wednesday, July 3, and Thursday, July 4, at Lincoln Park. The City has released a full schedule of events offering a variety of activities for all members of the family.
Wednesday, July 3:
- 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm – Pittsburg Area Farmers’ Market will be open and live entertainment will be offered at the Farmers’ Market Pavilion, at 119 E. 11th St., in downtown Pittsburg.
- 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm – Kiddieland Amusement Park opens at Lincoln Park.
- 5:00 pm to dusk – Arts, Crafts & Food Vendors at Lincoln Park.
- 6:30 pm – Baby Contest at Lincoln Park Pavilion #3. Registration begins at 5:15 pm at Lincoln Center. Little tikes, ages six to 24 months, can participate in the Baby Contest. Preregistration is encouraged. Parents can register their child to compete in one of two age groups, six – 12 months, and 12 – 24 months. Boys and girls will be judged separately. Trophies will be awarded to the first, second and third place in each division. Registration fee is $5. Early registration is available until June 28 for just $3.
- 7:00 pm – Firecracker 5K at the Lincoln Center. Runners 14 years of age and older are welcome to participate. The first 50 runners who register will receive a free race t-shirt. The registration fee is $15 prior to race day and $20 the day of the race. Online registration is available until midnight on July 2.
Thursday, July 4:
- 8:00 am to dusk – Arts, Crafts & Food Vendors set up at Lincoln Park.
- 8:30 am to 10:30 am – Fishing Derby at Lincoln Park pond. Divisions include adults and children, so all members of the family can participate. First, second and third-place prizes will be awarded for the most fish and the largest fish by weight. Participants must bring their own fishing pole, bait and chair. Prior registration is not required. Registration fee is $4 for adults and $2 for kids 16 and under.
- 9:00 am – Rollin’ Nostalgia Car Show: Classic car aficionados will feature their vehicles along McNally Drive in Lincoln Park. Admission is free and open to the public. Car check-in will be located at the northeast entrance of the Don Gutteridge Sports Complex.
- 9:00 am – Bicycle Ride, presented by Tailwind Cyclist, starts at Lincoln Center. Participants can ride 10 miles or 30 miles. Maps will be provided. Riders should bring at least one water bottle. Riders are required to wear helmets.
- 9:30 am – 8:00 pm – Radio Controlled Airplane Demos will take place 1.5 miles west and 1 mile north of Pittsburg Municipal Airport. This event is free to attend.
- 10:00 am to 11:30 am – Zumbathon at Lincoln Center. Preregistration for this event is highly encouraged. The registration fee is $5.
- 10:00 am – Pride of Pets Dog Show sponsored by Pureluxe Pet Foods at Lincoln Park Pavilion #3. Furry friends will compete in several categories, including most patriotic, best trick, biggest, smallest, best fur coat and most obedient. The winner of the best of show grand prize will receive a year’s worth of dog food from Pureluxe Pet Foods. Registration fee is $2 per category. Registration is open up until the day of the event. Participants can register until 9:30 am July 4, at the information booth inside Lincoln Park Pavilion #3.
- 10:00 am – 8:00 pm – Kiddieland Amusement Park opens at Lincoln Park.
- 11:00 am – American Legion Baseball All American Classic, hosted by Benjamin A. Fuller Post 64, will be held at Jaycee Ballpark.
- 11:30 am – Mock Battle, presented by 772 National Guard Unit will be held near J.J. Richards Band Dome at Lincoln Park.
- 1:00 pm – Richard Renner, The Vodvill Klown, with Vodvill Entertainment Company will present a show at Lincoln Park Pavilion #3. This event is free to attend.
- 1:00 pm – July 4th Celebration Bocce Tournament at Lincoln Park Bocce Courts. Teams can register for just $10. Preregistration is highly encouraged. Teams must register by 12:30 pm at the information booth in Lincoln Park Pavilion #3. Bocce Courts are inside Lincoln Park, east of Pavilion #1.
- 1:30 pm – Youth Disc Golf Clinic at the Lincoln Park Disc Golf Course. This event is open to children ages 17 and under. Attendees will meet near the west side of Lincoln Center; 710 W. 9th St. Preregistration is highly encouraged. To register prior to the event, visit the Pittsburg Parks & Recreation office at Lincoln Center by July 2. Cost: free.
- 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm – $1 Swim Day at Pittsburg Aquatic Center. Children under three years swim for free. All other swimmers pay just $1.
- 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm – Live Entertainment at Lincoln Park Pavilion #1. Musicians will be Ashley Duncan from 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm, and Wayward Bettys from 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm. Cost: free.
- 2:00 pm – Youth Freedom Fling Disc Golf Tournament at the Lincoln Park Disc Golf Course. This event is open to children ages 17 and under. Attendees will meet near the west side of Lincoln Center. Preregistration is highly encouraged. To register prior to the event, visit the Pittsburg Parks & Recreation office at Lincoln Center by July 2. Cost: free.
- 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm – Live Entertainment at J.J. Richards Band Dome in Lincoln Park. Kansas City’s Big Show Dueling Pianos will perform from 6:00 pm – 7:45 pm, and local country music artist Tim Nowell will perform from 8:30 pm – 10:00 pm. Cost: free.
- 10:00 pm – Fireworks Display: The celebration concludes with a bang, during the annual fireworks display, sponsored by Jake’s Fireworks. The show begins at 10:00 pm at Lincoln Park. Tune in to local radio station 96.9 FM for display music. This event is free and open to everyone.
For more information, contact the Pittsburg Parks & Recreation Department at (620) 231-8310 or visit www.pittks.org. Online program registration is available at https://pprd.pittks.org. Event updates can be found on the department’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pprd1.
The mission of the City of Pittsburg is to provide exceptional services, facilities and activities with integrity, professionalism, excellent customer service and a commitment to economic vitality.