Full-Time Assistant Technical Director
Department(s): Memorial Auditorium Convention Center
Location: Pittsburg, KS
In close collaboration with, and on a day-to-day basis, conducts the following with the Technical Director:
– Determines allocation of duties and schedule for other crew members.
– Discusses and understands the show concepts with the designer and/or TD
– Assist in developing comprehensive build calendar for each production.
– Assist TD and GM in administration and supervision of all safety systems.
– Assist with Load-In and Strike for all shows assigned.
– Assist in Daily operations of events
– Prepare, setup, and teardown of Auditorium equipment
– Participate in all technical and staff meetings
– Assist with drafting when needed and proof all working design drawings
– Assist with keeping work space stocked with necessary production materials and supplies.
– For the duration of COVID-19, must assist with the cleaning of the facility
*Regular attendance is an essential function of this job. Varied Hours including evening and weekends.*
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates computerized lighting and sound systems for events.
- Operates Video Switcher for Livestreaming and/or recording events
- Designs and hangs lighting for events as per artist specifications.
- Design and setup of sound reinforcement.
- Recommends to Technical Director staffing requirements for events in the Auditorium
- Ensures the Auditorium and stage are in a constant state of readiness for oncoming stage events and performances.
- Assist Auditorium staff and volunteers in placement and operations of lighting and sound equipment.
- Coordinates stage volunteers and additional auditorium technical staff.
- Oversees performances and rehearsals on stage as assigned.
- Ensure safety on the stage during performance.
- Performs general maintenance and light repair on equipment. Assist in more complex repairs, maintenance and other related duties as required as assigned by the Technical Director.
- Assists in assembly or construction of set for incoming events
- Constructs scenery; including understanding working drawings/elevations, cut lists, construction methods; pneumatics, hand tools, power tools, adhesives, foams, etc. Strong carpentry skills are required.
- Skills in operating and maintaining TriCaster Video Switch, Sound console, Lighting console and equipment with each system.
- Video direction and editing experience preferred.
- Ability to work with the public and artists of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work with and direct volunteers and part time hires on the technical aspects of theatre productions.
- Ability to work in genie lift at heights in excess of 25 feet. Work on catwalks and climb ladders at heights in excess of 40 feet.
Ability to lift and carry weight in excess of 20 pounds regularly and 40 pounds occasionally
- High School Graduate or G.E.D. with course work towards Technical Theatre degree or related field.
- One to two years’ experience in theatre, or comparable education or experience plus a minimum of one year experience in working with the public.
- Valid Driver’s License and a good driving record.
- Must be willing to work at heights, around moving machinery, and with exposure to noise, vibration, and dust.
- Ability to work safely in an environment containing potentially hazardous electrical equipment, fumes, vapor, gasses, and/or materials.
- Materials and equipment used:
- Sound Board
- Light Board
- Video Switcher
- Sound Processors
- Lighting Instruments
- Computer and office software
- Counterweight system
- Hand Power Tools
- Video Projectors and Screens
- Various Cleaning Supplies
- Mandatory Personal Protective Equipment throughout the day.