Risk of fire rises as temperature drops

City Press Releases

January 31, 2022

PITTSBURG, KS – The next round of winter weather is approaching and with it brings an increased risk of fire. The Pittsburg Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the following safety tips to prevent fire-related emergencies:

Smoke Detectors:

The most important step you can take for your safety in the event of a fire in your home is working smoke detectors. You should have smoke detector on each level of your house and one in each bedroom or sleeping area.

Caron Monoxide (CO) Detectors:

Harmful levels of carbon monoxide can be a byproduct of improperly operating gas-fired appliances. CO is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. These characteristics make it impossible to detect CO without a functioning CO detector. Residents should have a CO detector on each level of the home.

Space Heaters:

Space heaters can pose an extreme fire hazard. When using a space heater, they should have adequate clearance from any combustible material. Because of the high amperage draw that many of devices have, you should plug the heater directly into a wall outlet. Never use extension cords or power strips to operate a space heater.

Generators:

In the event of power outages, do not use generators inside any part of your home. Generators can produce lethal levels of CO and should be operated outside in a well-ventilated area.

 

Shoveling snow accounts for many heart attacks and other serious medical emergencies. Use caution when shoveling and do not over-exert yourself.

 

Frostbite is always a concern when the temperature drops. Wear multiple layers to stay warm and protect your ears, fingers, and any other exposed body part. Normally once you lose feeling you have been exposed too long.

 

If there is any type of emergency at your home, do not delay calling 9-1-1. The Fire Department is prepared to and will respond to your emergencies.

For questions regarding fire safety and prevention, contact the Pittsburg Fire Department non-emergency line at (620) 231-1870.

###

 

Related News

City Press Releases

Arson Arrest