Pittsburg City Commission Meeting Recap – Oct. 25
City Press Releases
October 27, 2022
PITTSBURG, KS – The following actions were taken at the Pittsburg City Commission meeting held on Tuesday, October 25, 2022:
- Father Chris Rumback led a prayer of invocation.
- Al Patel with Pittsburg State University Indian Student Association invited members of the city commission to the PSU Diwali festival, taking place Saturday, October 29 from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
The following items were approved under the consent agenda:
- The October 11, 2022, City Commission Meeting minutes.
- The application submitted by DG Retail, LLC, dba Dollar General Store #23865, located at 1026 East 4th Street, for a 2022 Cereal Malt Beverage License.
The following agenda items were removed from the consent agenda for further discussion:
- Commissioners voted to waive the City’s formal bid policy and purchase a 2017 Ford F-250 Service Truck from Evans Motors of Pittsburg, Kansas, for use by the Wastewater Collections Division of the Public Utilities Department in the amount of $40,000.00.
- Commissioners voted to approve the Appropriation Ordinance for the period ending October 25, 2022. Mayor Brooks abstained from the vote due to conflict.
The following items were considered under the main agenda:
- RESOLUTION NO. 1257 – Commissioners approved Resolution No. 1257, setting a public hearing on the proposed Community Improvement District (CID) for Pittsburg Town Center. The proposed CID would assist developers with improvements to the shopping district near the intersection of 29th and North Broadway, which includes Home Depot, the future Marshall’s location, and other retail and dining establishments. The public hearing will be held on Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 5:30 pm at the Law Enforcement Center.
- RESOLUTION NO. 1258 – Commissioners voted to approve Resolution No. 1258, creating a Pittsburg Arts District inside the downtown area. The new arts district spans north to Trailhead Park, south to Jolly Fox Brewery, east to Frisco Event Center, and west to the Pittsburg Public Library.
- 2022 AUDITING CONTRACT – Commissioners voted to engage the firm of Berberich Trahan & Company P.A. for the fiscal year 2022 city audit at a cost of $41,000.
- DISPOSITION OF BIDS – 2022 SANITARY SEWER LINING PROJECT LINE 7B – Commissioners voted to award the bid for the 2022 Sanitary Sewer Lining Project to Tri-Star Utilities, Inc., of Independence, KS, based on their low total bid of $889,416.00.
Non-agenda reports & requests:
- The commission voted unanimously to approve the second phase of the salary study.
- Commissioners had a discussion regarding the use of executive sessions.
City Commission Meetings:
The Pittsburg City Commission meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:30 pm, inside the Beard-Shanks Law Enforcement Center courtroom. Members of the public are encouraged to attend. To learn more about the Pittsburg city government, city commissioners, or to view meeting agendas and minutes visit pittks.org/city-government/city-commission.
City commission meetings are broadcast live every second and fourth Tuesday on the City’s local government access channel (Cox channel 6) and on YouTube. To subscribe to the City’s YouTube channel, go to www.pittks.org/youtube.
The mission of the City of Pittsburg is to provide exceptional services, facilities, and activities with integrity, professionalism, excellent customer service, and a commitment to economic vitality.