Pittsburg City Commission Meeting Recap – May 12, 2020
City Press Releases
May 13, 2020
PITTSBURG, KS – The following actions were taken at the Pittsburg City Commission meeting held on May 12, 2020:
Commissioners approved the following items under the consent agenda:
- Approval of the April 28, 2020, City Commission Meeting minutes.
- Approval of the application submitted by Michelle Fowler for a Cereal Malt Beverage License (original, unopened container and not for consumption on the premises) for Main Street Axe Company, LLC, located at 216 South Broadway.
- Approval of the Appropriation Ordinance for the period ending May 12, 2020, subject to the release of HUD expenditures when funds are received.
- GRANT REQUEST – THF, LLC – The commission considered a request submitted by Colby Terlip, owner of THF, LLC, dba Sunflower Hemp Company, for a nonrepayable grant in the amount of $110,000 from the Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) to install additional safety standard equipment to the property located at 3002 North Rotary Terrace to include a fire suppression (sprinkler) system, fire monitoring system, laboratory fume hoods and flammable storage cabinets. The project represents a potential investment of roughly $1 million and 12 new jobs. The commissioners tabled the item and asked that the request be sent to the Economic Development Advisory Committee (EDAC) for their recommendation.
- FAA CARES GRANT AGREEMENT – Commissioners approved staff recommendation to enter into an agreement with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for Pittsburg’s Atkinson Municipal Airport to be awarded up to $69,000.00 to be used for allowable operational costs at the airport as part of the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
- ELECTRICAL CONDUIT INSTALLATION – SILVERBACK LIFT STATION – Commissioners voted to approve the recommendation of the Economic Development Advisory Committee (EDAC) to utilize $94,947.60 from the Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) for the installation of four-inch PVC conduit for the three-phase power, placement of six (6) pads, nine (9) junction boxes and trenching for underground power to the streetlights along Silverback Way leading up to the subdivision. The purpose of installing the electrical conduit is to provide power to the sewer lift station that serves the Silverback Landing development.
Non-agenda reports & requests:
- BI-MONTHLY BUDGET REVIEW – Director of Finance Jamie Clarkson provided the April 30, 2020, bi-monthly budget review to the commissioners. April’s budget review shows the local economy was strong prior to the pandemic shutdown. A substantial revenue shortfall is expected. The city expects to see the true financial impact of COVID-19 in late June and July when April and May sales tax revenues arrive.
- KDOT 4TH STREET BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT – Cameron Alden stated KDOT would begin construction on the bridge project starting May 26.
City Commission Meetings:
The Pittsburg City Commission meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:30 pm, inside the Beard-Shanks Law Enforcement Center courtroom. Members of the public are encouraged to watch these meetings remotely.
City commission meetings are broadcast live on the City’s local government access channels (Cox channel 6 and Craw-Kan channel 406) and on YouTube. To subscribe to the City’s YouTube channel, go to www.pittks.org/youtube. To learn more about the Pittsburg city government, city commissioners, or to view meeting agendas and minutes, visit pittks.org/city-government/city-commission.
The mission of the City of Pittsburg is to provide exceptional services, facilities and activities with integrity, professionalism, excellent customer service and a commitment to economic vitality.