Pittsburg City Commission meeting recap – July 13, 2021
City Press Releases
July 14, 2021
PITTSBURG, KS – The following actions were taken during the Pittsburg City Commission meeting held on July 13, 2021:
- Public Input
- Peter Mayo shared a prayer of invocation.
Commissioners approved the following items under the consent agenda:
- The June 22, 2021, City Commission Meeting minutes.
- The application submitted by Leroy Smith for a Cereal Malt Beverage License for the annual celebration to honor the life of Brandon Smith to be held at the Frisco Event Center (210 East 4th Street) from 4:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 31st, 2021, and authorizing the City Clerk to issue the license.
- The application submitted by Muhamad Noor Sani for a 2021 Cereal Malt Beverage License for Sakera, located at 1618 South Broadway, and authorizing the City Clerk to issue the license pending a satisfactory City inspection.
- The Agreement No. 63-21 between the Secretary of Transportation, Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT), and the City of Pittsburg, Kansas, to participate in funding of a resurfacing (mill and overlay) project on Broadway Street (US-69B – 2nd Street to 5th Street) and W. 4th Street (K-126 – Pine to Broadway) as part of KDOT’s State Fiscal Year 2022 City Connecting Link Improvement Program (CCLIP), based on a 90% State/10% Local funding split with the State’s share not to exceed $300,000.00 and authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to execute the agreement on behalf of the City.
- The application submitted by John and Terri Drenick for sewer service outside the corporate City limits to property located at 3505 South Rouse.
- The Appropriation Ordinance for the period ending July 13, 2021, subject to the release of HUD expenditures when funds are received.
City Manager Daron Hall and Director of Finance Larissa Bowman presented the City Manager’s Submitted Budget for 2022.
ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION ON THE AGENDA
- REQUEST TO CHANGE ZONING: Commissioners approved the recommendation of the Planning Commission/Board of Zoning Appeals to approve the request submitted by the Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas (CHCSEK) to change the zoning of the two vacant parcels located directly west of 605 East 29th Street from R-1C, Single Family Residential District and RP-3 Planned Medium Density District to CP-0, Planned Commercial Office District, to allow for the extension of the medical education facility property.
- VACATION REQUEST: Commissioners approved the recommendation of the Planning Commission/Board of Zoning Appeals to approve the request submitted by Countryside Self Storage, LLC, to vacate the east portion of the alley located between the 200 Blocks of East Rose and East 1st Street.
- SUGAR CREEK PACKING CO. – FIRST AMENDMENT TO OPTION AGREEMENT FOR THE PURCHASE OF REAL ESTATE – Commissioners approved the staff recommendation to enter into a First Amendment to Option Agreement for the Purchase of Real Estate with Sugar Creek Packing Co., in which Sugar Creek Packing Co. will purchase a tract of land, located in the 500 Block of South 210th Street, containing 35.010 acres, in the total purchase amount of $177,375.00.
- COLBY 2021, LLC – REAL ESTATE CONTRACT – Commissioners approved the staff recommendation to enter into a Real Estate Contract with Colby 2021, LLC, in which Colby 2021, LLC, will purchase the five vacant tracts of land that cover 1.76 acres at the southwest corner of 4th and Rouse, in the total purchase amount of $300,000.
- SCANNELL PROPERTIES, LLC – PURCHASE AGREEMENT – Commissioners approved the recommendation of the Economic Development Advisory Committee (EDAC) to enter into a Real Estate Purchase Agreement with Scannell Properties, LLC, in which Scannell Properties, LLC, will purchase a 40-acre parcel in the City’s Airport Industrial Park, as part of an evolving economic development project, at the price of $5,000 per acre, with Scannell Properties, LLC, providing $35,000 in earnest money and allowed 120 days to exercise the right to purchase the property, with two 60-day extensions available.
- PITTSBURG AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE WELCOME/BUSINESS CENTER PROJECT – Commissioners approved the recommendation of the Economic Development Advisory Committee (EDAC) to participate in the Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce Welcome/Business Center Project, to be located at 117 West 4th Street, with an injection of 10% of the total project value, with the City’s portion not to exceed $25,000.
NON-AGENDA REPORTS OR REQUESTS
BI-MONTHLY BUDGET REVIEW – Director of Finance Larissa Bowman provided the June 30, 2021, bi-monthly budget review showing revenues and expenditures on track with projections.
City Commission Meetings:
The Pittsburg City Commission meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:30 pm, inside the Beard-Shanks Law Enforcement Center courtroom.
City commission meetings are broadcast live on the City’s local government access channels (Cox channel 6 and Craw-Kan channel 406) and on YouTube. To subscribe to the City’s YouTube channel, go to www.pittks.org/youtube. To learn more about the Pittsburg city government, city commissioners, or to view meeting agendas and minutes, visit pittks.org/city-government/city-commission.
The mission of the City of Pittsburg is to provide exceptional services, facilities and activities with integrity, professionalism, excellent customer service and a commitment to economic vitality.