Pittsburg City Commission Meeting Recap – Feb. 8
City Press Releases
February 9, 2022
PITTSBURG, KS – The following actions were taken at the Pittsburg City Commission meeting held on Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2022:
- Pete Mayo shared a prayer of invocation.
- Adam Gariglietti owner of John’s Sport Center expressed concern about stormwater issues on his property.
Commissioners approved the following items under the consent agenda:
- The January 25, 2022, City Commission Meeting minutes.
- The appointment of Matthew Kassawara to fill an unexpired term as a member of the Active Transportation Advisory Board (ATAB).
- The recommendation of the Economic Development Advisory Committee (EDAC) to grant a 2022 tax abatement renewal to Miller’s, Inc., Pinamonti Physical Therapy, Miller’s, Inc., Kendall Packaging Corporation, Dharma Properties, LLC, Rallison, LP, and E & J Investments, LLC.
- The Appropriation Ordinance for the period ending February 8, 2022, subject to the release of HUD expenditures when funds are received. Mayor Brooks abstained from the vote.
The City Commission took the following actions under the main agenda:
- JOHNSON PROPERTIES, LLC – LIMELIGHT MARKETING PROJECT – Commissioners approved the recommendation of the Economic Development Advisory Committee (EDAC) to provide an amount equal to 10% of the total project value to Johnson Properties, LLC, for the renovation of the future LimeLight Marketing office, located at 111 South Broadway, with the City’s portion not to exceed $75,400 in non-repayable funds. Limelight founder and owner Brandee Johnson shared that the company expects to double in size, going from 25 employees to 50 in the next three years.
- LEASE/PURCHASE AGREEMENT – FREIGHTLINER 108SD TRUCKS – Commissioners approved a seven-year lease/purchase agreement for (2) 2022 Freightliner 108SD trucks for the city’s Street Division with the financial institution providing the best interest rate and annual payments.
- ONE-TIME BONUS – Commissioners voted to approve the recommendation of staff to give a one-time bonus of $1,000 for all full-time city employees and $500 for all part-time city employees. The city will utilize American Rescue Plan Act funds for payments of the one-time bonuses.
Non-agenda Reports and Requests:
- BI-MONTHLY BUDGET REVIEW – Director of Finance Larissa Bowman provided the December 31, 2021, bi-monthly budget review. Bowman updated commissioners that the city’s revenues remained strong in 2021, with sales tax revenues up over 11 percent.
- Mayor Brooks expressed appreciation to the streets and public utilities team for their work during last week’s snow storm.
- Mayor Brooks also read a letter from the Crawford County Fire Fighter’s Association thanking the city for donating equipment to neighboring jurisdictions.
- City Manager Daron Hall also thanked city crews for clearing the roads following the snow storm.
- Commissioner McNay mentioned that Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas received a large supply of N95 masks, and encouraged the community to call CHCSEK if they need masks for themselves or their businesses.
- Commissioners asked Adam Gariglietti additional questions regarding his stormwater concerns and City Manager Daron Hall offered to follow up with Adam after the meeting.
City Commission Meetings:
The Pittsburg City Commission meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:30 pm, inside the Beard-Shanks Law Enforcement Center courtroom. Members of the public are encouraged to attend. To learn more about the Pittsburg city government, city commissioners, or to view meeting agendas and minutes visit pittks.org/city-government/city-commission.
City commission meetings are broadcast live every second and fourth Tuesday on the City’s local government access channel (Cox channel 6) and on YouTube. To subscribe to the City’s YouTube channel, go to www.pittks.org/youtube.
The mission of the City of Pittsburg is to provide exceptional services, facilities and activities with integrity, professionalism, excellent customer service and a commitment to economic vitality.