Pittsburg City Commission Meeting Recap – Aug. 10, 2021
City Press Releases
August 11, 2021
PITTSBURG, KS – The following actions were taken at the Pittsburg City Commission meeting held on Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2021.
- Mark Chambers shared a prayer of invocation.
Commissioners approved the following items under the consent agenda:
- The July 27, 2021, City Commission Meeting minutes.
- The application submitted by Judy Smetana, on behalf of the Kiwanis Club of Pittsburg, for a Cereal Malt Beverage License to operate a beer garden during the Little Balkans Days Festival.
- Staff recommendation to accept an Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) from the Kansas Housing Resources Corporation (KHRC) in the amount of $102,703 to support homeless services.
- The Appropriation Ordinance for the period ending August 10, 2021, subject to the release of HUD expenditures when funds are received.
The following item was removed from the consent agenda for further discussion:
- Assignment and Assumption of Lease between the City of Pittsburg, Veritiv Operating Company, and Pixelle Specialty Solutions, LLC, in regard to the City-owned building at 3004 Rotary Terrace. Blake Benson with the Pittsburg Area Chamber explained that Veritiv, a paper manufacturing company based in Atlanta, has been leasing a city-owned building at 3004 Rotary Terrace for several years under the name Rollsource. With the acquisition of Veritiv to Pixelle, the company requested to assume lease responsibilities. Commissioners voted to approve the lease agreement.
Commissioners took the following actions under the main agenda:
- PARTIAL MORTGAGE RELEASE AND WAIVER OF RIGHT OF REPURCHASE – SILVERBACK HOUSING DEVELOPMENT – Commissioners voted to approve a Partial Release of Mortgage document and Waiver of Right of Repurchase for Lot Number 10 in Silverback Landing, located at 1829 Silverback Way, as Arvest Bank, the primary lender for the project, took first position on the loan, with the City securing a second position.
- PRELIMINARY PLAT – S&H MANAGEMENT, LLC – DEAN’S ADDITION – Commissioners voted to approve the Preliminary Plat submitted by S&H Management, LLC, for the platting of Dean’s Addition, located on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Rouse.
Non-agenda Reports and Requests:
- Mayor Munsell requested that Chief Narges attend the next commission meeting to discuss the KBI report referenced in the August 10 issue of the Morning Sun.
- Commissioners took a 30-minute executive session for the preliminary discussion of the acquisition of real property pursuant to K.S.A. 75-4319(b)(6), to discuss the potential acquisition of three parcels of real estate. No action was taken and no votes were cast during the session.
City Commission Meetings:
The Pittsburg City Commission meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:30 pm, inside the Beard-Shanks Law Enforcement Center courtroom. Members of the public are encouraged to attend.
To learn more about the Pittsburg city government, city commissioners, or to view meeting agendas and minutes visit pittks.org/city-government/city-commission.
City commission meetings are broadcast live every second and fourth Tuesday on the City’s local government access channel (Cox channel 6) and on YouTube. To subscribe to the City’s YouTube channel, go to www.pittks.org/youtube.
The mission of the City of Pittsburg is to provide exceptional services, facilities and activities with integrity, professionalism, excellent customer service and a commitment to economic vitality.