Administrative Assistant I – Part Time
Department(s): Community Development & Housing Department
Location: Pittsburg, KS
Provides high level clerical and administrative support to housing team. Assists clients with questions or concerns in supportive housing programs, including Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Tenant Based Rental Assistance, Emergency Solutions Grant programs, Emergency Housing Voucher, and FYI.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Professionally greet customers, team members and the public. Answer customer/client questions or refer to appropriate staff member. Calmly handle complaints and resolve difficult situations.
- Answer multi-phone line system. Direct phone calls to appropriate staff. Provides program information to the public and other departments.
- Provide clerical support to department staff. Prepare and proofread documents for spelling, mathematical and grammatical accuracy. Sorts and files records, maintains contact lists, sorts and packages mail.
- Assists customers/program clients with requests regarding program eligibility and application status.
- Inputs, retrieves and updates client records and data in electronic software database.
- Provide support in the processing of correspondence, coordination & scheduling of meetings and processing of various other materials and reports.
- Design forms that are used by a division or department.
- Provide support for assigned committees, dilapidated structure hearing, executives, including preparation of meeting agendas.
- Maintain calendars, arrange and initiate travel arrangements if needed.
- Oversee all aspects of record keeping and documentation activities for a division.
- Type and composes a variety of correspondence and documents including memos, letters, contracts, plans, specifications, etc.
- Perform special projects such as reviewing and updating or rewriting procedures, or performing detailed research on specific issues for supervisors.
- Learn and assist with the different grants that are ran out of the housing office.
- Strong customer service skills, including effective listening, problem solving, conflict resolution, tactful and calm responses.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding City, housing clients and department business.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills including building positive relationships, work as part of a team and self-awareness of non-verbal communication.
- Learn department functions thoroughly to provide general information and use judgment in applying and explaining department processes and procedures.
- Proficiency on computers, to include word processing, spreadsheets and database programs.
- Good knowledge of office practices and procedures, generally accepted business English usage, punctuation, spelling and math.
- Maintain and retrieve important records efficiently and accurately and use this information to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Perform duties accurately and efficiently under time sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workloads, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Three to five years of clerical and customer service experience in a busy office setting. Clerical experience and knowledge of federal governmental programs or grant management programs.
- Valid Driver’s License.