Services & Incentives
The Pittsburg business and entrepreneur community is rich with resources to aid your business. Whether it’s expansion, retention, new ventures, technology and beyond, there is sure to be a partner in the community ready to work for you.
The City of Pittsburg is unique in the sense that we enjoy a strong partnership with our local university to provide unparalleled economic development services. Pittsburg State University’s Center for Innovation & Business Development works hand in hand with our Economic Development Officer and team at the Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce.
Kansas Department of Commerce – Business and Community Development Division
As the state’s lead economic development agency, the Kansas Department of Commerce strives to empower individuals, businesses and communities to achieve prosperity in Kansas.
KDOC can identify assistance and incentives available to help businesses or communities grow. They also can provide training and strategic planning facilitation.
Kansas Procurement and Technical Assistance Center
The Kansas PTAC assists businesses in their government contracting endeavors. Kansas PTAC services include workshops and one-on-one consulting. A fee based service will search of 2,200 bid sites every day and notify participating businesses of any leads.
Kansas Small Business Development Center
The Kansas Small Business Development Center serves as the premier consulting organization for the small business owner. All services and workshops are offered at no cost or low cost with a commitment to serving businesses and communities in southeast Kansas. The KSBDC is located in the Center for Innovation and Business Development.
Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce
The Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce provides a variety of services, resources, and programs for the Pittsburg area business community. Representing over 13,000 jobs and 600+ member businesses in the region, the chamber is dedicated to strengthening our economy and being a force for positive change.
Mid-America Manufacturing Technology Center
MAMTC’s focus is on making regional manufacturers more innovative at home and more competitive abroad.
Mid-America Certified Development Company
Mid-America CDC is a Small Business Administration Certified Development Company. It is a private, non-profit corporation whose mission is to promote, develop and advance job creation and capital investments in southeast Kansas.
The following is a short summary of some business incentives we can offer new or existing businesses. Every business is different and we are excited to work together and partner to ensure your success in our community.
- Provide land at little or no cost, including access to the Land Bank
- Donate engineering and other resources
- Fast-track the removal of bureaucratic obstacles
- Coordinate federal and state incentive programs
- Customize incentives to the specific needs of development partners
- Facilitate relationships with local property owners and real estate agents
- Consider ideas for new construction methodology and approaches
- Partner in consumer marketing to drive sales
- Offer loans with favorable terms from the community’s Revolving Loan Fund
- Consider special taxing districts
- Provide infrastructure and streetscape assistance
Industrial Revenue Bonds
- Building materials are exempt from state and local sales tax
- Local policies must be checked first
- Property financed with IRBs may be eligible for up to 10 years property tax exemption
- Industrial Revenue Bonds Application
Sales Tax Revolving Loan Fund
- Source of funds used as loan guarantees, loans or investment opportunities for industrial and non-competing retail, commercial and service business projects.
- Revolving Loan Fund Application Form
Tax Increment Financing (TIF)
- Real estate development tool applicable to industrial, commercial and residential projects
Community Improvement District (CID)
- Economic development tool designed to finance public or private facilities, improvements or services
Neighborhood Revitalization Tax Rebate
- The Tax Rebate Incentive Program is available in the Neighborhood Revitalization area
- It is a partnership between the City of Pittsburg, Crawford County, and USD 250
- Provides communities with a long-term increase and stabilization in their property tax base by encouraging rehabilitation or new construction that might not otherwise occur
- Provides a 5-year tax rebate for qualified investors within the improvement district
Rural Housing Incentive District
Assists developers building housing in rural communities by capturing 100% of the incremental increase in real property taxes (less the mills taken out for the school district) and reimburse those funds to the developer over a 15 year period.