Skip To Content

Victim/Witness Information

The Pittsburg Police Department has created this informational page to help you understand your rights as a victim or witness of a crime, and the services available to you through the criminal justice system. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time for additional information or resources.


Victims Bill of Rights

In accordance with state law (K.S.A. 74-7333, as amended), a crime victim has the following rights in Kansas:

  • Victims should be treated with courtesy, compassion, and respect for their dignity and privacy and should suffer the minimum of necessary inconvenience from their involvement with the criminal just system
  • Victims should receive, through formal and informal procedures, prompt and fair redress for the harm which they suffered
  • Information regarding the availability of criminal restitution, recovery of damages in civil cause of action, the crime victim’s compensation fund and other remedies and the mechanism to obtain such remedies should be made available to victims
  • Information should be made available to victims about their participation in criminal proceedings and the scheduling, progress, and ultimate disposition of the proceedings
  • The views and concerns of victims should be ascertained and the appropriate assistance provided throughout the criminal process
  • When the personal interest of victims is affected, the view or concern of the victim should, when appropriate and consistent with criminal law and procedure, be brought to the attention of the court
  • Measures may be taken when necessary to provide the safety of victims and their families and to protect them from intimidation and retaliation
  • Enhanced training should be made available to sensitize criminal justice personnel to the needs and concerns of victims and guidelines should be developed for this purpose
  • Victims should be informed of the availability of health and social services and other relevant assistance that they might continue to receive the necessary medical, psychological, and social assistance through existing programs and services
  • Victims should report the crime and cooperate with law enforcement authorities


IMPORTANT ADVISEMENT:  A person who was arrested may be released on bond or some other form of release. Victims and witnesses should not rely upon an arrest as a guarantee of safety. 


Criminal Justice System

Crawford County District Court (620) 231-0310 | The Crawford County District Court handles all felony cases and misdemeanors committed outside the Pittsburg city limits.

Pittsburg Municipal Court (620) 231-9880 | The Pittsburg Municipal Court handles general misdemeanor criminal cases, traffic violations, and other violations of municipal ordinances inside the Pittsburg city limits. 


Crime Victim Compensation

The Kansas Crime Victims Compensation Board provides victims with financial assistance for loss of earnings and out-of-pocket loss for injuries sustained as a direct result of violent crime. Crime victims or their legal representative can recover compensation by filing an application with the Kansas Division of Crime Victims Compensation. For more information, or to file an application call (785) 296-2359 or visit

Division of Crime Victims Compensation
120 SW 10th Ave, 2nd Floor
Topeka, KS 66612-1597
(785) 296-2359 Telephone
(785) 296-0652 Fax

Notice of crime to victim compensation coordinator

In accordance with Kansas Statute 19-4808, within seven days after the initial contact between the victim of a reported crime and the law enforcement agency investigating the crime, such agency shall notify the victim compensation coordinator of the report of the crime and the name and address of the victim or victims.

A law enforcement agency shall provide the following information to the victim:

  • The availability of emergency and medical services numbers, if needed
  • the police report number, in writing
  • the address and telephone number of the prosecutor’s office that the victim should contact to obtain information about victims’ rights, in accordance with Kansas Statutes 74-7333 and 74-7335, and amendments
  • the name, address and telephone number of the local board and information about victim compensation benefits, if any local board has been appointed in the county
  • advise the victim that the details of the crime may be made public; and
  • advise the victim of such victim’s rights under Kansas Statutes 74-7333 and 74-7335, and amendments

A law enforcement agency may adopt any procedure to transmit such information which substantially complies with the provisions of this section. For more information, visit


Access to Court Records

The Kansas Department of Corrections (KDOC) provides an online database, for the purpose of locating inmate records. These records are available at no charge for citizens, in the interest of public safety. You can check an inmate’s location and status on the Kansas Adult Supervised Population Electronic Repository (KASPER) database.


Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence is a crime. If a police officer has probable cause to believe a crime has been committed, the officer shall make an arrest. It’s the law. As the victim, you do not sign the complaint against the offender. The police are the complaining witnesses and the prosecutor files charges.

Your safety is important – if an arrest has been made, the police will make a reasonable effort to notify you when the offender is being released from jail. If you are being threatened by the offender or others, call 911 immediately.


Victims of Trafficking and Violence Prevention Act

The Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000 is a federal statute passed into law in 2000, to provide protections for undocumented immigrants who are victims of trafficking and violence.

“U visas” and “T visas” 

U nonimmigrant visas (“U visas”) were created by the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Prevention Act of 2000 (Public Law 106-386). Victims of qualifying criminal activities who have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse may apply for a U visa if they are willing to assist law enforcement or other government officials in the investigation or prosecution of those crimes. For detailed instructions on how to apply for a U visa, visit the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Like the U nonimmigrant visa, the T nonimmigrant visa (“T visa”) was also established by the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000. Victims of “severe forms of trafficking in persons” who are physically present in the United States on account of such trafficking, comply with any reasonable request for assistance in the Federal, State, or local investigation or prosecution of acts of trafficking; and demonstrate that he or she would suffer extreme hardship involving unusual and severe harm upon removal may qualify for a T visa. For detailed instructions on how to apply for a T visa, visit the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Missing Adults & Children

If you have reason to believe that you have located a missing adult and/or child, please call 911 immediately.  If you are not sure and want to double check, there are several sites that can help you determine if someone has been reported as missing.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

National Missing and Unidentified Person System



Local ProvidersPhone Numbers
Safehouse Crisis Center, Inc. (620) 231-8692
Via Christi Hospital (620) 231-6100
SEK Urgent Care (620) 231-8003
Crawford County Mental Health Center (620) 231-5130
Kansas Department for Children and Families – Pittsburg (620) 231-5300
Regional Providers
Kansas Attorney General’s Office Victims Services Division  (800) 828-9745
Kansas Bureau of Investigation  (800) 572-7463 
Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services  (800) 842-0078 
Kansas Department for Children and Families Kansas  (800) 922-5330
Kansas Department of Corrections Office of Victim Services (866) 404-6732
Kansas Children’s Service League  (877) 530-5275 
Kansas Coalition Against Sexual & Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline  (888) 363-2287 
Kansas Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) Statewide Office  (785) 625-3049 

Contact Information

Police Department
201 N Pine St
Pittsburg, KS 66762

Hours of Operation:

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.