Pittsburg City Commission Meeting Recap – Feb. 28
City Press Releases
March 3, 2023
PITTSBURG, KS – The following actions were taken at the Pittsburg City Commission meeting held on Tuesday, February 28, 2023:
- Ken Weaver shared a prayer of invocation.
Commissioners approved the following items under the consent agenda:
- February 14, 2023, City Commission Meeting minutes.
- The Appropriation Ordinance for the period ending February 28, 2023, subject to the release of HUD expenditures when funds are received.
Non-Agenda Reports & Requests:
- Spruce Up Pittsburg – Public Information Manager Sarah Runyon shared an update with the commissioners on the Spruce Up Pittsburg Community Conversation held Thursday, February 23 at Homer Cole Center. Another Spruce Up Pittsburg meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 23 at Memorial Auditorium. Members of the community are invited to attend and get involved. The city has published the public input survey from the meeting on several city communication channels (pittks.org and social media sites) to gather additional feedback. The survey closes March 17.
- Finance Report – Deputy City Manager Jay Byers shared a quarterly financial report with the commissioners and updated them on the status of the city’s sales tax revenues. The city’s sales tax revenues went up 11.3 percent in 2021, it increased by another 13 percent in 2022, and it has risen by 15.7 percent above that in 2023 through February. According to Byers, some of that growth in revenues is due to inflation, but it is still an indicator of strong and consistent growth in the city.
The mission of the City of Pittsburg is to provide exceptional services, facilities and activities with integrity, professionalism, excellent customer service and a commitment to economic vitality.