< Back to Jobs
Part-Time Utilities Maintenance Worker
Department(s): Public Works and Utilities
Location: Pittsburg, KS
- This position is working part-time, less than 1,000 hours in a calendar year, and is non-benefit earning. This position is responsible for general labor work for the Public Utilities Department.
- This position reports to assigned Public Utilities Superintendent.
- Performs daily required service checks on equipment to be used for the day including checking and filling; fluids, pressures, and grease points. Cleaning machinery as necessary. Ensures that equipment is operating correctly and reports any suspected malfunctions or safety issues.
- The primary duties of work are performed outdoors and may include working in adverse weather conditions.
- Work may involve 24-hour availability during emergency situations. This will include overtime and call back situations as required.
- Work in confined spaces and trench excavations as required.
- The job position summary, duties and responsibilities is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills or competencies with this job. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Work hours and times are arranged and set by public utilities superintendents and work needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform general maintenance and custodial duties
- janitorial cleaning of restroom facilities
- janitorial cleaning of offices, conference, and breakrooms
- washing and / or cleaning of windows and other surfaces
- Perform general landscaped duties:
- spreading of removing mulch
- leaf removal
- limb pickup
- Operate riding lawnmower:
- standing style
- tractor style
- zero turn style
- Operate weed whacking equipment.
- Excavate with shovel shallow trenches or remove debris blocking ditch drainage.
- Shovel various materials as needed.
- Mix and spray chemical such weed killers, fertilizer, sand, or road salts.
- Spread topsoil and seed.
- Assist with lifting and placement of varying materials and tools.
- General brushing or roll on painting of fire hydrants and various items.
- Cleaning of fleet vehicles.
- Utilize proper personal protective equipment for situational task assignments.
- Properly handle and store materials.
- Ask questions.
- Personal Conduct
- Reliability: Policy 210 & 502
- Judgement: Policy 101
- Cooperation / Attitude: Policy 104
- Serving the Public: Policy 103
- High School graduation or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license and clean motor vehicle record.
- Basic competencies using micro-soft products such as outlook, word, and excel.
- Basic competencies to utilize smart phones, tablets, and computers for communicating, corresponding, and processing work orders.