Maintenance Worker Four Oaks Golf Course
Department(s): Parks and Recreation
Location: Pittsburg, KS
The primary function is to perform mowing and trimming of Four Oaks Golf Course, complete landscape maintenance duties and perform general labor and maintenance work under the supervision of the Four Oaks Golf Course Superintendent. Other work may include soil and plant cultivation, cleanup duties, restroom cleaning and maintenance. An employee in this class may be assigned to other maintenance duties in the assigned Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Performs mowing, trimming, weeding, planting, cultivation, fertilization, watering, and pruning operations;
• Cleans and sanitizes restrooms;
• Applies fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides as instructed;
• Performs general landscape and cleanup duties, including trash and debris removal, graffiti removal, and litter pickup;
• Performs cleanup and maintenance duties on tennis and basketball courts; Assists with sprinkler irrigation systems;
• Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures;
• Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions;
• Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring.
• Basic grounds maintenance skills, including but not limited to, mowing, trimming, planting, weeding, pruning, cultivation, and fertilization;
• Applicable regulations and City policies regarding safe work practices, including application of herbicides and pesticides.
• Follow written and oral instructions;
• Operate power equipment, including but not limited to, riding and walk-behind mowers, weed
cutters, blowers, trimmers, chainsaws, loppers and hedge clippers, and spray applicators;
• Operate hand tools, including but not limited to, shovels, rakes, brooms, and hoses;
• Operate a motor vehicle and learn the safe operation of other heavy equipment used in the
performance of duties;
• Communicate effectively with the public and other employees;
• Effectively communicate, both verbally and written;
• Multi-task, problem solve and make sound decisions.
High school diploma or GED equivalent; Grounds maintenance experience preferred; Any equivalent
combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform
Must have a valid driver’s license and clean Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)
This position is performed outdoors and may include working in adverse weather conditions and hazards
involving the use of power equipment and chemicals.
• Sufficient clarity of hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the
employee to discern verbal instructions and warning and alarm systems, such as equipment
• Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee
to comprehend written work instructions and work orders;
• Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the
employee to operate a variety of power and hand tools, and make adjustments to equipment;
• Sufficient strength to lift objects over 50 pounds;
• Sufficient body flexibility and balance to perform landscape and maintenance operations which
require standing for up to four hours at a time; bending and flexing at the waist repeatedly;
kneeling, stooping, reaching, and stretching; and climbing and working on ladders, stairs, and