Firefighter – Full-Time with Benefits (Entry Level or Lateral Transfer)
Department(s): Fire Department
Location: Pittsburg, KS
Upcoming Fire Testing
Saturday, January 6th at 9:00
Fire Station #1 911 W 4th Street
Perform fire suppression and fire prevention work and provide emergency medical service for the protection of health, life and property by responding to fire, emergency medical and hazardous incidents, water rescue related emergencies and automobile accidents.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform firefighting tasks participating in fire ground tactical fire operations, rescuing occupants from burning structures; water rescue, hazardous incidents, automobile accidents, etc.
- Respond to emergency medical calls providing medical treatment to preserve life and reduce severity of injuries to the public.
- Perform fire prevention and inspection duties and take action to address problems.
- Tour buildings in assigned fire response zone and pre-plan actions in case of fire or other emergency.
- Attend and participate in fire and EMS training activities in order to maintain skills and keep abreast of new techniques in firefighting and emergencies.
- Maintain all equipment used in firefighting, EMS and specialty rescue response in ready condition on assigned apparatus.
- Responsible for the maintenance and care of vehicles, equipment, living quarters, fire station and surrounding grounds at the assigned station and for notifying the Captain (supervisor) of any safety hazards or other problems with the structure or contents.
- Participate in community events at schools, parades; Talk to individuals and small groups about fire prevention topics and give tours of the fire station as requested.
- Answer station telephone providing information and taking messages as necessary.
- Knowledge of firefighting equipment, techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of emergency medical equipment, techniques, terminology and protocols at the EMT level.
- Knowledge of fire codes and fire safety techniques, policies, standards and operating procedures of the Pittsburg Fire Department.
- Geographic knowledge of the City, including streets and routes.
- Ability to work in difficult environmental conditions including donning and use of personal protective equipment, toxic and chemical fumes, smoke, heights, extreme heat, darkness, confined spaces, etc.
- Ability to perform strenuous activities such as lifting, pushing pulling, etc. requiring cardiovascular strength and endurance and good upper and lower body strength.
- Skill in the operation of fire fighting equipment and tools.
- Ability to understand the incident management system and the chain of command.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Ability to perform in exposure to extreme weather conditions, smoke, toxic fumes, extreme heat, hazardous materials, heights, confined spaces, etc.
ENTRY LEVEL REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 18 years of age
- Valid Driver’s License
LATERAL TRANSFERS/ENTRY must meet the basic requirements above plus the following:
- IFSAC or Pro Board Firefighter I and II Certifications
- Emergency Medical Technician Certification (State or National Registry)
- Haz-Mat Certification
- 2 years documented career/full-time paid firefighter experience (must be within the last 12 months)LATERAL TRANSFER/ENTRY candidates MUST include all certifications along with your applicationPreferred, but not required:
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) levels 100, 200, 700, and 800
Based on the Fire Department’s needs, the Fire Chief will have discretion to use requirements from either list.