Water Distribution Supervisor
Department(s): Public Works and Utilities
Location: Pittsburg, KS
Responsible for assisting in the development and execution of the sections budget, manning, and resource utilization process. Assists Assistant Director and Support Managers with the management and supervision of section foreman, and multiple work crews. Reviews, directs, and assigns work orders in the construction, inspection and maintenance of the water distribution system. Works independently under minimal supervision. This position directs the duties of multiple work crews that perform maintenance, repair, inspection and construction to the water distribution system or the water treatment plant. Helps determine means, methods and staffing to complete a variety of maintenance, inspection and repair activity. Determines the type and application of equipment to use in all aspects of construction, maintenance, inspection and repair operations. Represents the Water Division at pre-construction meetings, contractor/developer construction sites, etc. to ensure Division interests are met. Ensures compliance with all specifications and standards and environmental and safety regulations. Responds and assists in regular hour and after-hour emergencies (24) twenty-four hours a day on a scheduled call rotation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs, plans, schedules, coordinates, and assigns work to multiple work crews, contractors and/or plumbers in the area of construction, maintenance, metering, inspection and repair of all aspects of a water distribution system.
- Reviews work in progress to ensure assignments are completed in an efficient cost-effective manner. Adjusts means, methods, labor and equipment to maximize efficiencies and cost effectiveness.
- Assists Manager and Assistant Manager with the evaluation and accountability for work performance, optimization and behavior of the assigned work force. Assists in the review and evaluation of maintenance reports on work crew performance especially related to quantity and quality of work completed and participates in the planning of adjustment of means, methods, labor and equipment to maximize efficiencies and cost effectiveness.
- Provides assistance to Division emergencies including after hours and will be on a 24 hour call rotation. Monitors systems operation to ensure efficiency and compliance with specifications, standards, environmental and safety regulation.
- Performs personnel actions to include participating in hiring process, and leave administration, disciplinary actions, and other associated tasks.
- Conducts employee performance appraisals and listens to employee feedback. Assigns employee goals and reviews training needs. Documents performance issues, recommends and/or administers discipline as necessary.
- Solves complex problems by studying layout drawings, as-built drawings, wiring and schematic drawings, and by analyzing construction and operating characteristics.
- Develops and establishes operation, inspection and maintenance procedures to ensure maximum efficiency and compliance with Division policies.
- Monitors and evaluates employee capabilities and provides training and technical support as needed for employee advancement job success.
- Plans construction equipment and tool needs for assigned crews. Within budget restraints and purchasing guidelines authorize the purchase of equipment and tools and needed. Oversees maintenance and repair of tools and equipment and purchase of equipment and tools.
- Investigates and resolves matters dealing with customer complaints.
- Excellent knowledge of processes and equipment such as main purification, sampling methods, and pressure testing methods. Knowledge of existing distribution system, contingency water operations; maintenance of water systems; inspection and corrosion prevention.
- Ability to resolve employee conflicts and find suitable resolutions.
- Able to analyze a given situation and make timely decisions.
- Able to read and comprehend technical manuals, blueprints, drawings and specifications. Shop mathematics.
- Capital Planning
- Budget Oversight
- Inventory Control
- Performance Indicators
- Environmental Compliance
- Personnel Leadership
- Contractor / Vendor: Collaboration & Management
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent trade school certificate and 5 years of relevant work experience.
- High school graduation or equivalent and 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Association of Boards of Certification Water Distribution Operator Class IV Certification.
- Certification of supervisory or personnel leadership training.
- Utilize Memberships & Trade Affiliations with organization such as the following for industry updates and or continuing educational opportunities.
- American Water Works Association
- Kansas Rural Water Association
- Kansas Municipal Utilities
- American Public Works Association.
- Proven knowledge of understanding of the need and use of tools and equipment to perform the work.
- Other Certifications and Training Requirements
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration – 10 Hour
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Training
- First Aid Training
- Must maintain a Kansas Commercial Drivers License Class A.
- Air Brake Endorsement – may be required optionally
- Tanker Endorsement – may be required optionally.
- Automatic Transmission – may be required optionally
- Standard Transmission – may be required optionally
- Ability to enter and process work order data in asset management system.
- Ability to utilize smart phones, tablets, and computers for communicating, corresponding, and processing work orders.