The City of Pittsburg, Kansas is accepting applications for a full-time Heavy Equipment Operator position. The principal duties are performed outdoors and may include working in adverse weather conditions and hazards involving the use of power equipment and hazardous chemicals.
The person in this position operates equipment in the support of utilities, street and grounds maintenance. This classification requires more skill in equipment operation, i.e. excavation near utilities, and backhoe, boom truck or mini excavator. Work in progress is often performed without immediate supervision.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Services and performs general and preventative maintenance on equipment;
• Performs tasks related to removal and re-installation of street and sidewalk materials, including concrete, asphalt, rock, and brick;
• Transports and delivers materials;
• Installs and maintains signs and fencing;
• Street maintenance and grounds excavation work;
• May remove snow from streets, walks, and parking lots;
• May coordinate laborers and temporaries;
• Sets safety cones and/or temporary signs around work site, and directs vehicular traffic around and through work sites with hand held flags to provide a safe working environment and citizen safety in the work site vicinity;
• Performs emergency maintenance tasks using mechanic’s tools;
• Inspects and checks vehicle before use in order to ensure safe operating conditions;
• Observes, evaluates, and recommends corrections regarding safety procedures in response to employee complaints and accident incidents;
• Communicates any unsafe conditions or accidents/injuries in a timely manner to supervisor in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting;
• Keeps equipment in proper operating condition by cleaning and performing simple preventive maintenance tasks (makes simple adjustments, lubrication and replaces minor parts;
• Detects needed automotive repairs in order to promote accident prevention;
• Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The City of Pittsburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.