Deputy Finance Director
Department(s): Finance Department
Location: Pittsburg, KS
This position plays a critical role in providing guidance not only to the employees within the Finance Department, but to every department within the City by assisting them in budgeting their department operations for the upcoming year, and subsequently helping them manage their performance throughout that year. As a leader within the department, this role has significant influence on the quality of contribution the department makes to the City’s success. Receives direction from the Director of Finance and occasionally the City Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct supervision to the Customer Service Manager. This includes instruction, mentoring, providing feedback, and coaching for performance.
- Assist the Finance Director and City Manager with the development and administration of the Annual Budget.
- Assist the Finance Director with the development of the annual Five-Year Financial Plan and the Five-Year Capital Improvements Plan.
- Provides Budget Analysis and Financial Guidance to City Departments
- Ensure that City accounting and financial records are accurate. Assist the Finance Director with the annual audit and CAFR. Develop and recommend efficient practices and technologies to streamline procedures that also provide for internal control of City funds.
- Manages special projects and leads process improvements as assigned.
- Must take ownership of position, takes initiative to learn and improve, and accepts a high level of accountability for his/her work and the work of staff
- Must possess excellent analytic skills and critical thinking
- Has the initiative and ability to communicate and work collaboratively finance department members and city departments leaders
- Ability to interpret and understand complex financial and operational concepts and information
- Ability to communicate routine and complex matters, in person and in writing, for audiences within and outside of the organization
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, public administration, or related field.
- Experience: Five years of increasingly responsible experience in municipal government finance preferred. Will also consider three or more years of management level accounting and supervisory experience with budgets, financial reporting and audits.
Salary: $65,603-85,284 annually, DOE
Please upload a cover letter and resume. Only applicants who meet the qualifications and provide the requested documents will be considered.