The Community Development Specialist will work with the Director of Community Development and Housing, City Administration, City Commissioners, Department Heads, community organizations and developers to plan, research and implement current and long-term housing, community and business development needs. This position must be capable of independently carrying out most assignments typical of urban planning and community development, and will receive general direction from the Director for implementing the vision, goals and objectives of the Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with the Director of Community Development and Housing and/or other department or community advisory groups; plans community events; researches and prepares proposals and delivers presentations as needed to community groups and staff reports to the City Commission;
- Ensures that the Department Director is kept fully informed on the condition of planning and development projects and about any trends, events, or emerging issues of significance to the department’s success;
- Grant proposals: Researches and analyzes departmental needs to identify local, state, federal and private grants appropriate for specific projects. Compiles data and prepares narrative reports on grant activities. Writes grants, monitors progress of awarded grants, and submits reports to funders on time; grant programs include Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME, Emergency Housing, Moderate Income Housing (MIH), and other grants awarded to the City; ensures compliance with private, state and federal regulations; Work will be reviewed by Director to identify results achieved; Serves as the City’s liaison with State and Federal housing representatives and funders;
- Assists with the drafting and production of contracts, correspondence for internal and external audiences, and information for City Commission approval;
- Serves as a liaison (often first point of contact) for the City and the department with community members, neighborhood organizations, cultural groups, partners and stakeholders helping to foster communication and support connections to resources and programming, or to resolve specific issues;
- Maintains important program and database information;
- Working knowledge of the organization and operations of City Government;
- Leads community efforts to design and implement housing and community development programs, policies, and initiatives;
- Plays a leading role in program development, working closely with the Implementation team to roll out new programs;
- Works closely with the Director to assist the Housing and Community Development Team to ensure that the office continues to create and implement solutions that address the key goals of affordability, inclusivity, and equity throughout the City;
- Plays a role in connecting the work of the office to broader efforts of the Department, City, Housing and Community Development leaders in Pittsburg;
- Establishes work methods, timetables, and performance standards, etc.;
- Routinely provides workgroup leadership, guidance and/or training to less experienced staff;
- May act as team lead on large projects.