Fireworks: Be Safe and Legal
The 4th of July holiday is fast approaching and the Pittsburg Fire Department wants to remind everyone of the City’s Fireworks Ordinance and general fireworks safety tips.
Only Class “C” (common) fireworks are permitted to be discharged within the city limits without a Special Events Permit. Class C fireworks are not permitted to be discharged except for the days they are allowed for retail sales. These dates are from June 27th to July 5th. During this period they shall not be discharged from the hours from 10:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M. on any day except the 4th when it is lawful for them to be used from 7:00 A.M. till 12:00 (Midnight) of the 5th. It is illegal to discharge or otherwise use fireworks within 1000’ of a hospital, under or on cars and other vehicles, or within 100’ of a location that fireworks are sold or stored, or 100’ from any gas pump, filling station or bulk fuel storage facility. The discharge and use of fireworks are not permitted on public roadways, parks or any other public property without a Special Events Permit. It is also illegal to throw, cast or otherwise propel a pyrotechnic device in the direction or path of any person or group or from or in the direction of any car or vehicle. For a full text of the City’s Fireworks ordinance you can click the link Pittsburg’s Municipal Code site on the City of Pittsburg’s website.
City of Pittsburg Fireworks Ordinance
In 2012 fireworks were accountable for 8,700 injuries treated in Hospital Emergency Departments around the country. With that in mind, The Pittsburg Fire Department wants to share some common sense fireworks safety tips with you.
- Don’t use illegal explosives, alter or combine fireworks
- Do buy fireworks from reliable, licensed dealers
- Don’t use fireworks around pets or farm animals
- Do read and follow label instructions
- Don’t allow small children to handle or use fireworks, even sparklers
- Do light fireworks one at a time and move away quickly
- Don’t use fireworks under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
- Do have a garden hose or other water source handy when discharging fireworks
- Don’t smoke when handling fireworks
- Do use fireworks on flat, hard, level surfaces only (not grass)
- Don’t use fireworks in dry and windy conditions
- Do use common sense and have a safe and enjoyable Independence Day!!